Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ten Years Wikipedia

Wait a moment -- didn't we read the title before? Yes, but this blog is about something other than Wikipedia's 10th anniversary, which was already celebrated on January 15, 2011. 

 In the earlier blog, I mentioned my involvement with the Internet encyclopedia: I published my first biographical article in the German Wikipedia on March 6, 2004, at 13.57 hours Central European Time about Karl von Rotteck

So March 6, 2014, is my personal Wiki anniversary. The English article about Karl Wenzeslaus Rodecker von Rotteck appeared on Wikipedia much later, on August 24, 2011.

Wikipedia Stammtisch in Freiburg in December 2010, celebrating ten years of Wikipedia (©BZ)
Since then, I have created many articles, primarily biographies, in German. My work in the English Wikipedia so far has been minimal. 

Many colleagues in Germany and the States make it their hobby to translate articles found in one Wikipedia to "write" an article in the other. This practice does not attract me, for my remaining time is too short.

On the other hand, I like to participate in our local and monthly Wikipedia Stammtisch. Last November, I discovered the weird world of the Wikipedia community when I participated in the annual conference of Wikimedia Deutschland in Karlsruhe, the Wiki CON 2013. My experience was unique. It was the first time I went to a Wikipedia conference, but it will not be my last. Red Baron intends to attend the world jamboree Wikimania 2014 in London at the Barbican Centre from August 8 to 10.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment